Millicast Terms of Service
To be eligible to register for a Dolby.io account and use Millicast’s Services, you must review and accept the terms of this Agreement by checking the box that states you have read and agree to these terms, when creating an account. PLEASE REVIEW THESE TERMS CAREFULLY. ONCE ACCEPTED, THESE TERMS BECOME A BINDING LEGAL COMMITMENT BETWEEN YOU AND Millicast. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS, YOU SHOULD NOT CHECK THE BOX AND YOU SHOULD NOT USE Millicast’s SERVICES.
This Terms of Service Agreement (“Agreement”) describes the terms and conditions by which Millicast provides and permits use of its Services, as described below. This Agreement is between Millicast, Inc. (“Millicast”), a California corporation located at 1275 Market Street, San Francisco, California 94103, and the user and respective company, if applicable, (“Client”) entered in the signup form to activate any of the Millicast plans found on the Dolby.io website. Millicast reserves the right to make changes or updates to this Agreement from time to time by posting such updates to the Agreement on the Dolby.io website.
1. By clicking “I ACCEPT,” signing an Order referencing this Agreement, accessing or using the Services, or otherwise indicating your acceptance of this Agreement, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Each party expressly agrees that this Agreement is legally binding upon it.
2. Description of Services: Millicast Services (“Services”) include providing infrastructure and tools for streaming live WebRTC-based audio and video content for Client via an online platform and API, and all relevant technical and customer support.
3. Purpose, Additional Terms:
3.2. Additional Terms: Client’s use of the Services is subject to all additional terms, policies, rules, or guidelines applicable to any or all of the Services or to certain features of the Services that Millicast may post on or link to from the Services (the “Additional Terms”). All Additional Terms, including without limitation, the Data Processing Addendum, are incorporated by this reference into, and made a part of, this Agreement.
4. Payment Policy: Millicast’s current fees for the Services are set forth on the website. All fees due under this Agreement are payable in United States dollars and will be billed to you from Millicast, Inc. Client shall pay Millicast for Services. Recurring Millicast Service charges will be charged to Client’s on-file method of payment each pay period on the start-date of the Millicast Service paid plan. These charges shall not change from period to period unless Client should expressly request an upgrade, downgrade, or other alteration to the Millicast Service paid plan. Millicast retains the right to adjust prices on any and all Services. Price changes will take effect 30 days after being posted on the website. Any non-recurring charges incurred by Client will also be charged to Client’s on-file method of payment, unless otherwise agreed between Client and Millicast. Millicast reserves the right to charge non-recurring charges incurred by Client to the on-file method of payment at any point during the billing period if they exceed USD 500. If valid payment for any recurring and/or non-recurring payment has not been received from Client within 5 days of the initial bill date, Millicast reserves the right to cancel Client’s account. If Client’s account has been terminated due to non-payment, and Client would like to reactivate the account, all monies that were due upon cancellation will then be due upon reactivation. Client can cancel account at any time. However, Client must cancel their account at least 24 hours before the end of the current billing cycle to avoid billing in the next billing period.
5. Upgrading or Downgrading Services: Millicast Services may be upgraded or downgraded at any time via the Millicast account management interface. Pro-rate will be charged for any upgrade made before the end of Client’s current billing cycle, and the new plan price will take effect immediately. All charges incurred prior to the next billing date will be billed at the current Service plan rates. If a downgrade of Services takes place, the new rates will take effect on the first day of Client’s next billing cycle.
6. Term and Termination of Service: This Agreement shall begin the date Client submits Client Information via the Dolby.io sign up process and shall remain in full force and effect until Client’s account is canceled or terminated, with the exception of Sections 3, 4, 6, 8, 14,15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22 and 24 which will survive upon termination of this Agreement. Services will be suspended or terminated if: (a) 15 days after the payment due date for paid accounts, Client fails to pay any outstanding amount; (b) Client violates any term of this Agreement; (c) Client’s traffic created from use of Services or Client’s use of Services is fraudulent or negatively impacting the operating capability of Services. If Client’s Services are suspended, Millicast will make a reasonable attempt to notify Client. Client’s account contents may be deleted upon termination of Service and will require then-current upload charges to reinstate the material. Millicast reserves the right to terminate any customer and any and all Services for any reason. A waiver of or failure to enforce this or any other provision by Millicast does not constitute a continuing waiver or a waiver of any other of Millicast’s rights at law or in equity.
7. Cancellation of Service by Client: Client shall have the right to terminate Service at any time via the Millicast account management interface, unless a Millicast written agreement specifies otherwise. Prior to cancellation of Service, Client is responsible for removing their materials from their allotted space on Millicast’s servers. Millicast will not be responsible for storage and preservation of Client’s materials at any time. Millicast reserves the right to immediately collect up to the total amount of any charges associated with the account that have not been satisfactorily paid, by charging Client’s payment method on file. Client’s account shall be canceled immediately upon submitting the request to cancel through the Millicast account management interface. No refunds will be made for the current month of the billing cycle. All monies due, including but not limited to, excess bandwidth fees, application service, development, consulting and all other services offered by Millicast, are due upon cancellation of Service.
Regulation of Certain Content, Copyright Policy:
8.1. Regulation of Certain Content:
Client accepts that it is the Client’s responsibility to prescreen and editorially control the content of Client’s website, if any, including but not limited to live and recorded audio and/or video content. Millicast reserves the right to request the removal of information in the live or recorded audio and/or video content brought to its attention which it deems detrimental to Millicast or any person. Client agrees not to include in its website(s), application(s), and in the live or recorded audio and/or video content any technology, information or material which violates or infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret or any other legal rights of any person, firm or corporation, or which a reasonable person would consider abusive, profane or offensive, which is defamatory or harassing, or which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law. Client accepts that it is the Client’s responsibility to maintain a copy of their content, even if the Client’s content is stored on Millicast’s servers. Millicast is not responsible for maintaining copies of Client’s content. Millicast reserves the right to refuse Service to anyone, in its sole discretion. To protect itself, Millicast may without liability, actively cooperate with and furnish identifying and supporting information to any person likely to be harmed by Client’s violation of these provisions and to any law enforcement agency serving a warrant or subpoena on Millicast. Millicast will be the sole arbiter as to what constitutes a violation of this provision. Client agrees to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Millicast from any claim(s) arising out of Client’s violation of this Agreement.
8.2. Copyright Policy:
If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any content on the Dolby.io website, Services or network infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by providing our Designated Copyright Agent with all of the following information in writing (see 17 U.S.C 512(c)(3) for further details):
(i) A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
(ii) Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
(iii) Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
(iv) Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail;
(v) A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
(vi) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Millicast’s Designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed copyright infringement is:
1275 Market Street, San Francisco, California 94103
See also https://www.copyright.gov/onlinesp/list/index.html.
No other notices or communications should be sent to the Designated Agent, who is appointed solely for the purpose of receiving notices of claims alleging copyright infringement under the DMCA. Also note: there are substantial penalties for false claims (see 17 U.S.C. § 512(f) – providing sanctions for material misrepresentations of copyright infringement).
For instructions on providing Millicast with a DMCA Counter-notification, please see, for example, https://www.lumendatabase.org/topics/29. Upon receipt of a valid counter-notification, Millicast will forward it to the original complainant who submitted the DMCA notice alleging copyright infringement. The original complainant will then have ten (10) days to notify Millicast that it has filed a lawsuit relating to the allegedly infringing material, otherwise Millicast will restore the removed material or cease disabling access to it.
Repeat Infringer Policy. Per Section 512 of the DMCA, it is Millicast’s policy to terminate Client’s or any user’s access to the Millicast Services, if they are determined to be a repeat infringer in appropriate circumstances, without obligation to refund any fees. A repeat infringer is a Client or user who has been notified of infringing activity more than twice and/or has had content removed from the Millicast Services more than twice.
9. Excessive Traffic: Client understands that traffic exceeding their specified bandwidth limits are subject to an extra monthly fee per each gigabyte of bandwidth transfer and/or restrictions placed on their account by Millicast, at the sole discretion of Millicast. Rates for excessive bandwidth are posted on the Dolby.io website and correspond to the plan Client is subscribed to. Millicast may change these rates at any time in their sole discretion by posting the new rates on the Dolby.io website. Client will be notified via email of any excessive bandwidth usage and the related fees incurred during the current calendar month. Millicast will charge these fees to Client’s on-file method of payment, unless otherwise agreed between Client and Millicast. Upon receiving notification of excessive usage, Client may upgrade the account to cover the additional usage and Millicast will reevaluate the excess fees, based on Client’s new account settings. Millicast reserves the right to charge non-recurring charges incurred by Client to the on-file credit card at any point during the billing period if they exceed USD $500.
10. Service Level Guarantee and Credits: Millicast Services will be available at least 99.95% of the time as measured on a monthly basis for all paid accounts. Unavailability is defined as the period of time when Client is unable to publish or receive streams to and from Millicast over multiple sequential attempts for a period of 10 minutes or more. This does not include Force majeure, interruptions due to planned Millicast maintenance, improperly developed applications, claims without valid reproduction cases or with incomplete descriptions. Unavailable time starts when Client informs Millicast of the Service interruption via email to [email protected]. Unavailable time ends when Service is restored to Client’s application. Service credits are calculated as a percentage of the total charges paid by Client each month. To receive a credit, Client must contact Millicast within two (2) business days following the end of the unavailability via email at [email protected] and include the dates and times of unavailability. If the percentage of uptime applicable to the month of such a request is confirmed to be below 99.95%, Millicast will issue Client a service credit of 3% of Client’s monthly plan amount for every additional 30 minutes of unavailability below the 99.95% guarantee (up to 100% of customer’s monthly fee). This Service Level Guarantee is the sole and exclusive remedy for Millicast unavailability. Client hereby acknowledges and agrees that Millicast will not be liable for any temporary delay, outages or interruptions of the Services. Client is not entitled to a credit if Client is in breach of any term of this Agreement (including payment obligations to Millicast) or any other agreement Client has made with Millicast. Millicast Service Level Guarantee does not apply to free accounts.
11. Maintenance: Client hereby acknowledges and agrees that Millicast reserves the right to temporarily suspend Services for the purposes of maintaining, repairing, or upgrading its systems and network. Millicast will use best efforts to notify Client of pending maintenance, however, Millicast is at no time under any obligation to inform Client of such maintenance.
12. Third Party Add-ons: Millicast may make available through the Millicast Services additional features, functionality, and services offered by its third-party partners (“Add-ons”). Client’s use of Add-ons is subject to this Agreement and to the applicable fees. By purchasing an Add-on, Client grants Millicast permission to share any account information or usage information with the third party partner of the Add-on, as necessary in order to provide Client the Add-on and support for the Add-on. The license granted to Client to use any Add-on is exclusive and private to Client, and is not sublicensable to Client’s end users, Client may not provide or resell Add-ons to others.
13. Ownership: (a) General: As between Client and Millicast, Millicast exclusively owns and reserves all right, title and interest in and to Millicast’s Services. As between Client and Millicast, Client exclusively owns and reserves all right, title and interest in Client’s applications. (b) Use of Marks: Subject to this Agreement, both parties grant the right to use and display the other party’s name and logo (the Licensor Marks) on their respective websites and in other promotional materials solely in connection with each of their respective activities under this Agreement. Use of the Licensor Marks will be in accordance with the other party’s applicable usage guidelines and will inure to the benefit of Licensor. Neither party will use, register or take other action with respect to any of the Licensor Marks, except to the extent allowed in advance in writing by the party whose Licensor Marks are being used. In using the Licensor Marks under this subsection, both parties will always use the then-current Licensor Marks and will not add to, delete from or modify any of Licensor Marks. Neither party will, at any time, misrepresent the relationship between the parties, including, but not limited to presenting itself as an affiliate or other legal agent of the other party. The rights to use and display the other party’s Licensor Marks under this subjection will end automatically in the event this Agreement terminates.
14. Network and System Security Violations: Network and system security violations are prohibited by Millicast and Millicast reserves the right to pursue criminal and/or civil charges and/or work in conjunction with legal authorities in relation to any such violation. Examples of such violations are, but not limited to, the following: unauthorized access of network, data, servers, files, etc. that Client does not have permission to access. Any attempt to test, probe or scan the Millicast system or network, or use the Millicast network or system for the purposes of such tests, in order to ascertain vulnerability, or any attempt to breach security or authentication measures without authorization. Any attempt to interfere or disrupt the Millicast Service or network by using the following methods without limitation: flooding, mail-bombing, denial of service attacks, any other deliberate attempts to overload the system, or any usage or attempted usage of Services for which Client is not authorized to use.
15. Confidentiality and Trade Secrets: (a) Confidentiality: Each party hereby acknowledges that it may be exposed to confidential and proprietary information belonging to the other party or relating to its affairs, including without limitation technical information and development techniques, business and financial information, visitor and/or customer lists and other information designated by a party as confidential or proprietary (“Confidential Information”). Confidential Information does not include (i) information already known or independently developed by the recipient; (ii) information in the public domain through no wrongful act of the party, or (iii) information received by a party from a third party who was free to disclose it. Each party agrees that during the term of this Agreement and at all times thereafter it shall not use, commercialize or disclose the other party’s Confidential Information except in performing its obligations under this Agreement. Each party shall use the same degree of care in safeguarding the other party’s Confidential Information as it uses in safeguarding its own Confidential Information, but in no event shall it use less than due diligence and care. Neither party shall alter or remove from any Confidential Information of the other party any proprietary, copyright, trademark or trade secret legend. (b) Trade Secrets: Millicast represents that its hardware and software configurations are trade secrets. Client shall not access internal components of hardware; source codes or object codes of software or any other internal hardware or software configurations by either direct means or by means of any process of reverse engineering. Client agrees that by failing to comply with this provision, Millicast will be irreparably damaged, and therefore Client shall be assessed liquidated damages of not less than $10,000.00, in addition to any other damages incurred. By assessing liquidated damages Millicast does not waive its right to use any other legal remedy available to it.
16. Injunctive Relief: The parties acknowledge that violation by one party of any or all of the provisions of Section 15, above, would cause irreparable harm to the other party not adequately compensable by monetary damages. In the event of an actual or threatened violation of the Section 15, the non-violating party will be entitled to seek immediate injunctive and other equitable relief, without waiving any other rights or remedies available to it. Each party will promptly notify the other in writing of it becomes aware of any violations of Section 15.
17. Warranties: Millicast makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the Service it is providing. Millicast also disclaims any warranty, express or implied, of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Millicast will not be responsible for any damage suffered. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or Service interruptions caused by Millicast’s negligence or the subscriber’s errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via Millicast is at Client’s own risk. Millicast specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its Services.
18. Limitation of Liabilities: The following provisions are material conditions of this Agreement and reflect a fair allocation of risk: (a) Remedies. Client agrees that if Millicast violates any warranty or other provision of this Agreement and Millicast in its sole discretion determines that repair or other corrective action is not economically or technically feasible, Client’s sole and exclusive remedy will be to seek a refund of up to the amount paid by Client to Millicast for Services rendered hereunder during the previous one (1) month. (b) Liabilities. Millicast IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY AMOUNT EXCEEDING THE PRICE PAID BY CLIENT FOR SERVICES HEREUNDER DURING THE ONE (1) MONTH PRECEDING THE EVENT GIVING RISE TO ANY CLAIM. TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL Millicast BE LIABLE, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING LOST PROFIT, LOST DATA, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION OR ATTORNEY FEES) EVEN IF NOTIFIED IN ADVANCE OF SUCH POSSIBILITY.
19. Force Majeure: Millicast is excused from, and will not be liable for, any failure or delay in performance of responsibilities otherwise imposed by this Agreement including, but not limited to, any delay, outages or interruptions of the Services, for any cause beyond its reasonable control. Such causes shall include without limitation fires, floods, storms, earthquakes, civil disturbances, acts of God, acts of terrorism, disruption of telecommunications, transportation, utilities or necessary supplies, governmental action, computer viruses and incompatible or defective equipment, software or services not supplied by Millicast, or other cause beyond its reasonable control (including, without limitation, any mechanical, electronic, communications or third-party supplier failure).
20. Jurisdiction and Venue Clause: The parties to this Agreement agree that any dispute which may arise with respect to this Agreement, without limitation, will be resolved pursuant to the law of the State of California without regard to its conflicts of laws rules. The forum for venue for the judicial or alternate dispute resolution of such dispute shall be proper only within the County of San Francisco, California. The parties hereto consent to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of California for purposes of enforcing the arbitration provision and proceedings and further consent that any process of notice of motion or other application to the Court or the judge thereof may be served upon the parties by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested. The parties agree that the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act and the United Nations Convention on the International Sale of Goods will not apply to this Agreement.
21. Arbitration Clause: Client agrees to first attempt to resolve any dispute or claim arising against Millicast by emailing [email protected]. If the parties cannot resolve any dispute that arises through means of customer support, both parties agree to resolve any dispute arising under this Agreement, or Privacy Notices, or in relation to Services by binding arbitration in San Francisco, California, or in another location both parties have agreed to. This applies to all claims under any legal theory, and applies whether Client’s account is active or not. If the parties have a dispute about whether this agreement to arbitrate can be enforced or applies to any dispute, both parties agree the arbitrator will decide that as well. Prior to filing any arbitration, both parties jointly agree to seek to resolve any dispute by mediation conducted by the American Arbitration Association (AAA), with all mediator fees and expenses paid equally by the parties. If mediation is not successful, either party may initiate an arbitration proceeding with AAA. AAA’s rules and procedures are available on their website https://www.adr.org or by phone at 1-800-778-7879. The arbitration will be governed by the then-current version of AAA’s Commercial Arbitration Rules (the “Rules”) and will be held with a single arbitrator appointed in accordance with the Rules. To the extent anything described in this Arbitration Section conflicts with the Rules, the language of this Arbitration Section applies. Each party will be entitled to a copy of non-privileged relevant documents in the possession or control of the other party and to take a reasonable number of depositions. All such discovery will be in accordance with procedures approved by the arbitrator. This Arbitration Section does not alter in any way the statute of limitations that would apply to any claims or counterclaims asserted by either party. The arbitrator’s award will be based on the evidence admitted and the substantive law of the State of California and the United States, as applicable, and will contain an award for each issue and counterclaim. The award will provide in writing the factual findings and legal reasoning for such award. The arbitrator will not be entitled to modify this Agreement. Except as provided in the Federal Arbitration Act, the arbitration award will be final and binding on the parties. Judgment may be entered in any court of competent jurisdiction.
22. Export Regulations: The transfer of technology across national boundaries is regulated by the US Government. Client agrees not to export or re-export (including by way of electronic transmission) any data or technology derived from its audio and/or video stream without first obtaining any required export license or governmental approval. Client shall not directly or indirectly export or re-export (including by transmission) any regulated technology to any country to which such activity is restricted by US regulation or statute, without the prior written consent, if required, of the Bureau of Export Administration of the US Department of Commerce. This provision and the assurances made herein shall survive termination of this Agreement.
23. Notices: All notices given hereunder must be in writing and transmitted by E-mail, Fax, U.S. Mail, return receipt requested, or special courier service (Fed Ex, UPS, etc.). Notice information shall be sent to Millicast, 1275 Market Street, San Francisco, California 94103.
24. Miscellaneous: This is the entire Agreement between the parties. This Service Agreement supersedes all previous representations, understandings or agreements and shall prevail notwithstanding any variance with terms and conditions of any order submitted. This Agreement may be modified or amended only by a writing signed by the party against whom enforcement is sought. Any provision hereof found by a tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be illegal or unenforceable shall be automatically conformed to the minimum requirements of law and all other provisions shall remain in full force and effect. Headings are for reference purposes only and have no substantive effect. Each party is an independent contractor in relation to the other party with respect to all matters arising under this Agreement. Millicast failure to enforce at any time any provision of this Agreement does not waive Millicast’s rights to do so later. Use of Millicast’s Services constitutes acceptance of this Agreement. All other terms shall be negotiated in good faith.
Updated: July 28, 2022